Open Enrollment 2014-2015

A message from Superintendent Jean Born

How to Apply For Open Enrollment

For the 2014-2015 School Year


The Open Enrollment Application Period for the 2014-2015 School Year
is from February 3, 2014 – April 30, 2014

The Department of Public Instruction recommends that parents apply for Open Enrollment through the on-line application process.

During the application period, the on-line applications can be found at the following DPI web site location:

What is Public School Open Enrollment?

Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.

Who may participate in open enrollment?

Students in 5-year-old kindergarten to grade 12 may apply to participate in open enrollment.

Open enrollment for pre-kindergarten, 4-year-old kindergarten and early childhood education is limited. Parents should call their resident school districts to find out if their preschool-aged children qualify for open enrollment.

How and when may parents apply?

The open enrollment application period for the 2014-2015 school year is from February 3-April 30, 2014. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.

Parents may apply in one of two ways:

  • On-line application at
    (NOTE: this site will close on April 30th at 4:00 p.m.) The Sheboygan Falls District Office, located at 220 Amherst Ave., will have a computer available between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for parents who are applying to open enroll their students to Sheboygan Falls. Help will also be available for completion of the on-line application.
  • Although completion of the on-line application is recommended by DPI, paper applications may be printed from the Department of Public Instruction web site or can be picked up at your school district office. Paper copies must be returned to the nonresident school district (the district that your student is applying to attend) before February 24th at 4:00 P.M. It is recommended that paper applications be hand delivered to the nonresident district office.

Can applications be submitted to more than one school district?

Applications may be submitted to up to three nonresident school districts.

Can I apply to a virtual charter school under open enrollment?

Yes. It is strongly recommended that applications to attend virtual charter schools be submitted on-line. Other important things to know about applying to virtual charter schools:

  • A virtual charter school is not home-schooling. Students attending virtual charter schools are public school students.
  • You must know the nonresident school district in which the virtual charter school is located. If you have any questions about this, call the virtual charter school.
  • You must know your resident school district in order to apply.
  • State law limits the number of students that may attend virtual charter schools under open enrollment. You may be placed on a waiting list.

Can an application be rejected?

Yes. Nonresident school districts may deny an application if regular or special education space is not available for the student, if the student has been referred for a special education evaluation but has not yet been evaluated, or if the student has been expelled during the current or preceding two years for certain violent conduct.

If there are more applications than spaces, students must be selected randomly, after giving preference to students already attending school in the nonresident school district and siblings of currently-attending students.

Some school districts establish waiting lists to fill unused spaces, but others do not.

Can a resident district prevent a student from leaving?

A resident school district may prevent a student from leaving the district if the tuition charge for the student’s special education in the nonresident school district is an undue financial burden for the resident school district.

If you have further questions about open enrollment for children with disabilities, contact the resident or nonresident school district or the DPI.

Can parents appeal if an application is denied?

Parents whose applications are denied may appeal to the DPI within 30 days of the denial. State law requires the DPI to uphold the school district’s decision unless DPI finds that the decision was arbitrary or unreasonable. The DPI’s decision may be appealed to circuit court.

Must students reapply every year?

Once a student is accepted into a nonresident school district, the student may continue to attend that district without reapplication except that:

  • The nonresident district may require a student to reapply one time—at the beginning of middle school, junior high or high school. Sheboygan Falls does not require anyone to reapply once they have been approved. If your student is currently attending school in Sheboygan Falls under open enrollment, DO NOT SUBMIT ANOTHER APPLICATION.
  • Under certain circumstances, a student who needs special education may be required to return to the student’s resident school district.

Is there a cost to parents for open enrollment?

There is no tuition cost to parents for participation in open enrollment. Parents of open enrolled students may be charged the same fees as resident students.

Who is responsible for transportation?

Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school.

If transportation is required in the individualized education program (IEP) for a child with a disability, it must be provided by the nonresident district.

School districts may provide transportation to open enrollment students if they wish. Usually, if transportation is provided, parents must transport the student to a location in the nonresident district.

Low-income parents may apply to the DPI for partial reimbursement of their transportation costs.

Can a parent select a specific school in the student’s resident school district?

The state’s open enrollment program applies only to transfers from one school district to another school district. It is up to each individual school board to decide whether or not to allow transfers from one attendance area to another attendance area in the same school district.

Can an open enrolled student participate in sports and other extra –curricular activities in the nonresident school district?

Open enrolled students have the same rights and responsibilities as resident students.

Inter-scholastic athletics are governed by the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA), which has recently adopted new rules concerning transfer students. Parents should check with the WIAA or the school district’s athletic director about eligibility.

The Entire Open Enrollment Brochure for the 2014-2015 School Year Can Be Found At

The Department of Public Instruction Website: