Open Enrollment

Have you considered Open Enrollment?

The Open Enrollment application dates for the 2014-2015 school year are
February 3, 2014 to April 30, 2014.
Click HERE to apply!

Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live. Wisconsin residents in grades kindergarten through twelfth grade may apply to participate in open enrollment.

Children who are eligible for Early Childhood or 4-year old kindergarten may also apply if their resident district offers a similar program and they are eligible for that program in their resident district.

There is no tuition cost to parents for their children’s participation in open enrollment provided they meet the timelines outlined below. Parents will be charged the same yearly fees as a resident student including class fees, laboratory or extra-curricular activity fees.

Detailed information regarding the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s Full-Time Inter-District Open Enrollment program can be found at

Read More …

How and when may parents apply?

Parents may apply on-line at

The Open Enrollment application dates for the 2014-2015 school year are
February 3, 2014 to April 30, 2014.

State Open Enrollment Window to Open February 3

State Open Enrollment window to open February 3

February 3 – April 30, 2014 – Parents must submit applications online through the WI Department of Public Instruction website:, or a direct link will be placed on our district website,, starting February 3rd.  A computer will be available in the Sheboygan Falls District Office at 220 Amherst Avenue between the hours of 7:30 AM and 3:30 PM for parents who do not have access to the Internet.

The school district of Sheboygan Falls is reminding families that the Open Enrollment “window” of opportunity to submit applications is February 3 to April 30.  Wisconsin’s inter­-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.

Since the inception of Open Enrollment in the state, the school district has seen a steady increase in the number of non­resident parents opting to send their child to school in Sheboygan Falls.

“I believe the increase in numbers is because some parents are simply interested in the size of our schools. That is, we are small enough that students receive a great deal of support, while at the same time we are large enough to offer academic and extracurricular opportunities that smaller area schools are not able to offer,” explained Superintendent Jean Born.

In a recent interview with parents of two open enrolled students, Dave Krueger from Oostburg, indicated, “Our initial thought was need and convenience-­based.  Our oldest son graduated in the spring and was leaving home in the fall, leaving us with a transportation gap, as I work in Milwaukee, and my wife Karla’s business is in Sheboygan Falls. Further thought quickly lead to the possibility that as a larger district, additional opportunities might also be available to our sixth grader and his sister at the high school.  This has certainly proven to be the case.  Also, we had heard only good things about the reputation of the district from others around the area, and felt we needed to explore the opportunity.”

Krueger added, “While the overall population of their class is now doubled in size, the number of students per classroom is about the same.  More kids brings more diversity, which translates into wider options for academic success and elective alternatives.”

The Krueger’s sixth grade son has found great success in ALEKS, an online math program used at Sheboygan Falls Middle school.  Their son is able to accelerate at a pace that has been a great fit for him this school year.

When asked if the Krueger family plans to continue to open enroll into Sheboygan Falls, next school year, Dave’s response was, “Absolutely.”

For more information about Open Enrollment, please check out the district website or contact Julie Hahn at the district office, 467­-7893.


Open Enrollment 2014-2015

A message from Superintendent Jean Born

How to Apply For Open Enrollment

For the 2014-2015 School Year


The Open Enrollment Application Period for the 2014-2015 School Year
is from February 3, 2014 – April 30, 2014

The Department of Public Instruction recommends that parents apply for Open Enrollment through the on-line application process.

During the application period, the on-line applications can be found at the following DPI web site location:

What is Public School Open Enrollment?

Wisconsin’s inter-district public school open enrollment program allows parents to apply for their children to attend school districts other than the one in which they live.

Who may participate in open enrollment?

Students in 5-year-old kindergarten to grade 12 may apply to participate in open enrollment.

Open enrollment for pre-kindergarten, 4-year-old kindergarten and early childhood education is limited. Parents should call their resident school districts to find out if their preschool-aged children qualify for open enrollment.

How and when may parents apply?

The open enrollment application period for the 2014-2015 school year is from February 3-April 30, 2014. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.

Parents may apply in one of two ways:

  • On-line application at
    (NOTE: this site will close on April 30th at 4:00 p.m.) The Sheboygan Falls District Office, located at 220 Amherst Ave., will have a computer available between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. for parents who are applying to open enroll their students to Sheboygan Falls. Help will also be available for completion of the on-line application.
  • Although completion of the on-line application is recommended by DPI, paper applications may be printed from the Department of Public Instruction web site or can be picked up at your school district office. Paper copies must be returned to the nonresident school district (the district that your student is applying to attend) before February 24th at 4:00 P.M. It is recommended that paper applications be hand delivered to the nonresident district office.

Can applications be submitted to more than one school district?

Applications may be submitted to up to three nonresident school districts.

Can I apply to a virtual charter school under open enrollment?

Yes. It is strongly recommended that applications to attend virtual charter schools be submitted on-line. Other important things to know about applying to virtual charter schools:

  • A virtual charter school is not home-schooling. Students attending virtual charter schools are public school students.
  • You must know the nonresident school district in which the virtual charter school is located. If you have any questions about this, call the virtual charter school.
  • You must know your resident school district in order to apply.
  • State law limits the number of students that may attend virtual charter schools under open enrollment. You may be placed on a waiting list.

Can an application be rejected?

Yes. Nonresident school districts may deny an application if regular or special education space is not available for the student, if the student has been referred for a special education evaluation but has not yet been evaluated, or if the student has been expelled during the current or preceding two years for certain violent conduct.

If there are more applications than spaces, students must be selected randomly, after giving preference to students already attending school in the nonresident school district and siblings of currently-attending students.

Some school districts establish waiting lists to fill unused spaces, but others do not.

Can a resident district prevent a student from leaving?

A resident school district may prevent a student from leaving the district if the tuition charge for the student’s special education in the nonresident school district is an undue financial burden for the resident school district.

If you have further questions about open enrollment for children with disabilities, contact the resident or nonresident school district or the DPI.

Can parents appeal if an application is denied?

Parents whose applications are denied may appeal to the DPI within 30 days of the denial. State law requires the DPI to uphold the school district’s decision unless DPI finds that the decision was arbitrary or unreasonable. The DPI’s decision may be appealed to circuit court.

Must students reapply every year?

Once a student is accepted into a nonresident school district, the student may continue to attend that district without reapplication except that:

  • The nonresident district may require a student to reapply one time—at the beginning of middle school, junior high or high school. Sheboygan Falls does not require anyone to reapply once they have been approved. If your student is currently attending school in Sheboygan Falls under open enrollment, DO NOT SUBMIT ANOTHER APPLICATION.
  • Under certain circumstances, a student who needs special education may be required to return to the student’s resident school district.

Is there a cost to parents for open enrollment?

There is no tuition cost to parents for participation in open enrollment. Parents of open enrolled students may be charged the same fees as resident students.

Who is responsible for transportation?

Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from school.

If transportation is required in the individualized education program (IEP) for a child with a disability, it must be provided by the nonresident district.

School districts may provide transportation to open enrollment students if they wish. Usually, if transportation is provided, parents must transport the student to a location in the nonresident district.

Low-income parents may apply to the DPI for partial reimbursement of their transportation costs.

Can a parent select a specific school in the student’s resident school district?

The state’s open enrollment program applies only to transfers from one school district to another school district. It is up to each individual school board to decide whether or not to allow transfers from one attendance area to another attendance area in the same school district.

Can an open enrolled student participate in sports and other extra –curricular activities in the nonresident school district?

Open enrolled students have the same rights and responsibilities as resident students.

Inter-scholastic athletics are governed by the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA), which has recently adopted new rules concerning transfer students. Parents should check with the WIAA or the school district’s athletic director about eligibility.

The Entire Open Enrollment Brochure for the 2014-2015 School Year Can Be Found At

The Department of Public Instruction Website: